PRACTICALS--LIST OF EXPERIMENTS Marks : 40 (20 + 20)
1. To prepare
a) a true solution of common salt, sugar and alum
b) a suspension of soil, chalk powder and fine sand in water
c) a colloidal of starch in water and egg albumin in water and distinguish between these on the basis of
ii) filtration criterion
2. To prepare
a) a mixture
b) a compound
using iron filings and sulphur powder and distinguish between these on the basis of :
i) appearance i.e., homogeneity and heterogeneity
ii) behaviour towards a magnet
iii) behaviour towards carbon disulphide a solvant.
iv) effect of heat.
3. To carry out the following chemical reactions and record observations. Also to identify the type of reaction involved in each case.
i) Iron with copper sulphate solution in water.
ii) Burning of Magnesium in air.
iii) Zinc with dilute sulphuric acid
iv) Heating of Lead Nitrate.
v) Sodium sulphate with Barium chloride in the form of their solutions in water.
4. To verify laws of reflection of sound.
5. To determine the density of solid (denser than water) by using a spring balance and a measuring cylinder.
6. To establish the relation between the loss in weight of a solid when fully immersed in
i) tap water
ii) strongly salty water, with the weight of water displaced by it by taking at least two different solids.
7. To measure the temperature of hot water as it cools and plot a temperature-time graph.
8. To determine the velocity of a pulse propagated through a stretched string/slinky.